Apart from health risks, pests can cause a huge mess in and around your home or business. For effective pest control eastern suburbs Melbourne, you should hire a reputable company here.
During the months starting March through to September, pests become notorious because they are looking for cooler places to hide. To eradicate pests, it’s important to know the types of pests you’re dealing with.
Today's article discusses the three common pests in Melbourne and how to control them.
In Melbourne, Australia, rats and mice are common in built-up areas. Rats and mice are known to have an impressive sense of taste, smell as well as good memory.
For this reason, rats pose a challenge when trying to trap them because they become wary of new objects in their surroundings.
Rats and mice prefer cooler places to breed and take shelter. Common hiding places include woodpiles, wall voids, eaves, cupboards, behind dishwashers and garage to name a few.
The impact of rodents:
• Since they eat almost anything, they can cause fires if they chew on wires
• They carry and spread disease
• They contaminate food
• In extreme cases, they can cause death when they attack humans
To control rats and mice:
- Remove all food sources. Keep storage areas, yards, garbage containers and the kitchen tidy.
- Keep possible hiding areas clean and dry
- Seal any holes that they might use and clear vegetation around the building
- Store food in tight-fitting containers
- When setting up traps, place them directly on their path
Every home or business owner dreads termite infestation. The damage that termites can cause is irreversible and can devalue your home by up to 25%! To exterminate termites, talk to pest control specialist in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
Any house is at risk if termite protection regulations are not adhered to. Some of the signs that show you have termites in your property include hollowed-out timber, alates and small tunnels which they use as paths.
The impact of termites:
- Property damage
- Health risks due to the fungi they carry with them
To control termites:
- Address water leakage from sinks, showers and water pipes. Likewise, direct excess water from water tanks away from your premises.
- Avoid storing wood in direct contact with soil.
- Only use termite resistant timbers in the subfloor
- Place termite bait on the ground outside your building
- Remove stumps or dead trees lying around
- Use physical or chemical barriers
In Australia, some birds are classified as pests. They include pigeon, seagull, plovers and Starling among others. Birds can be a nuisance, especially if you like outdoor dining.
Their droppings can leave unsightly marks around your home, plus, they are a major health risk.
Getting rid of birds is a delicate matter that should only be handled by a pest control expert in Melbourne.
The impact of birds:
- They damage cereals and fruits in our gardens.
- They can destroy the ecosystem.
- Scavenge in and around cafes and restaurants threatening the safety and health of staff and customers.
- They spread diseases such as Avian Flu/Bird Flu, candidiasis and E.coli among others.
To control birds:
- Destroy and remove their nests and eggs
- Use traps
- Use bird spikes
- Get rid of their food supply
- Seal likely locations on the roof where birds build nests
The effect of pests should never be underestimated. If left unchecked, you expose yourself to both financial and health risks.
Rodents, termites and birds are the most common pests found in Melbourne. To keep your building free from pest infestation, early detection is key.
Always be on the lookout for signs of pests in and around your property. With regular inspections from a qualified pest control technician in eastern suburbs Melbourne, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that you're safe.